Thursday, January 20, 2011

A time warping blog

A blog that time warps: flash forward (we'll jump back to the past next time)

The great thing about this being my blog is that I have the freedom to do whatever I want with it.  Tonight I want to write about right now.  My story can be woven into many chapters past, present, and future.  

Here goes a chapter for the "present" category.

The past couple weeks have been inconsistent - between steve and I starting new jobs, buying a new house, family members having severe health issues, and the death of my aunt - inconsistent is the only word that seems close to adequate.  But even in these crazy inconsistent moments there has been a new sense of balance that is refreshing.

I'm really enjoying a lot of things my new job is giving me.  I finally feel for the first time in years that I can go to work, get things completed and finished, and then check out of it when I leave.  This has provided me with much more energy and excitement for other roles in my life - getting to pick my kids up from school everyday, having true down time, being able to have conversations with my husband at night and giving him my FULL attention and even somewhat better sleep.

My new responsibilities are great with work - although my position is cross-functional for all the marketing in each area it's still such a different change of pace coming from my past job.  It's weird going from the one directing all the programs, marketing, volunteer coordinating, development, resource, event planning, etc. to specifically focusing on one area... 

Not a bad thing - it is actually wonderful for the season I am in life - for my health and family.  I'm extremely blessed for it.  I love knowing that what I get to do helps the community on such a large scale.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my old job at all.  I do.  It's been a very bittersweet but very healthy and positive adjustment.  I love the marketing piece but I will always feel passionate about the one-on-one advocacy piece also.

I've been praying that God would open up other doors that I can use some of my other gifts when I'm not at work.  One of those doors has already been opened as I was approached about becoming a mentor for some young women who are single parenting.  I've been praying about it and I'm really excited for this opportunity.  

My life has significantly been shaped by the many women who have invested their time in meeting and mentoring with me - pouring love and direction into my life.  

So, here's to a new chapter.  God knew how much I've missed that personal interaction with working one-on-one with young people and He reminded me this past week that I don't have to make that my job --- I can make it my hobby and still do a job in other areas that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment