Friday, February 18, 2011

Being a grown up - reflections from a magic kingdom

Chapter:: Being a grown up (reflections from the magic kingdom)

When my husband first told me we were going to Disney World for our anniversary, I was super excited!  Then I got kind of sick.  We had taken our son last year and it was a horrible experience.  He wasn't old enough to enjoy or appreciate it.  Meltdown after meltdown - not sure if it was him or me who had the most.

My first question -- "are we taking the kids?"

Nope, just you and me, we need some fun and we need a week for us.  

Were we the worst parents in the world, leaving our kids at home for a week while we went to Mickey world?  A question I kept asking myself...

I now know we definitely are not the worst parents.  Our kids did not know we came here, instead they just know we are on a trip and they have had the chance to spend the week with grandma and their dad.  I can guarantee you that if your kids are not old enough it is a waste of money and energy to come here.  We plan to bring them back in 2012.

So why did we choose to come to the one place full of kids on our one week alone?  

Maybe its because here I can be a kid.  That sounds simple, right?  A little too simple.  I don't remember a time where my life wasn't full of numerous responsibilities.  I've been a mom since 18.  I've worked since I was 14.  I'm not complaining.  I grew up too fast and much due to my decisions, but I miss the chance to be a kid.  Here I can be one - worry free - even if it's only for a week.

All week, I've watched kids throw fits, parents stress out, and I've been fighting the urge to leave early and go back home early to my own babies.  And my husband keeps reminding me to relax.  I don't know how to relax, but I'm learning.  My mom recently told me that I need to cut myself some slack, I'm trying.

One week ago, I left my kids totally stressed out and now I am excited to go home refreshed and be their mom - to enjoy time with them.  I've been dreaming a lot this trip - it tends to happen in this magical place quite a lot :-)

I have so many ideas and dreams.  I can't wait to figure out how to make them realities.  This trip has made me remember that anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment