Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Family:: a [weird] peculiar

Family:: a weird peculiar 

Growing up my thought of family was my mother, my brother, and my mom's side of the family (which is huge, by the way)...

Yet, this year the term "family" has taken a new spin... A more random spin, but I've learned to appreciate it...

One year ago, I connected with my biological dad and his family... Which included a wife, two adopted children, a crazy fun-loving uncle, a grandma, and a great granny...

It's weird to think I had this other family out there...Especially the ones related by blood.  Yet, don't we all??  Don't we all have family outside of who we'd expect?

It might sound a little cliche, but besides this new "dad family" I started putting the term "family" into a new perspective.  My family extended way beyond blood... To friends who love and embrace me, to step-parents, to ex-mother-in-laws, to new in-laws, to co-workers...

So, this post is really just to say, what makes a family isn't the blood type, genes, or marriage certificate... It really is about who we allow our hearts to let in, to love, to receive love from.  Because in the end, it's not about who is on my family tree as much as it is about how deep those who I've walked alongside have planted their roots in investing love in my life.

I really hope one day soon our family tree will have even more nuts in it :) as we add more kiddos from foster care.

Family is a beautiful thing, and when we allow ourselves the freedom to not limit the capacity for love --- we would be amazed of how rich our families truly are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment