Sunday, October 2, 2011

I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him

I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. (1 Samuel 1:27 NIV)




When Steve and I first started the foster care journey in opening our home, this was the verse that God kept filling us with. He still fills us with.



This verse always makes me think of people praying for their little babies. But not in our case.



I see a lot of my friends cling to this verse in their adoption journeys, but we clung to it in our foster journey. Because we pray for the children God will lead to us whether they are ours for a day or for a lifetime.



It's not a coincidence that in all the crazy delays in getting open as a home we were able to open our house to a young lady to prevent her from going into care. His timing ehh?



This whole time we have prayed to be open to help kids in care (which we believe God will eventually still open our home to do) but for now His plan was to use us to prevent a child from going into foster care.



If we had already been open, we wouldn't have been able to help her. So, she is not a foster child. She chose us, and we chose her. And "legal guardian" doesn't sound too cool.



She is our seventeen year old child that we have been praying for. She isn't ours, but she is ours. We may only have her for a few months but God has granted our request in sending her to us.



I have prayed for her. I have longed for her. I have spent many nights crying out to the Lord on her behalf. I have spent nights worrying for her. I have prayed on His timing.



So my sweet 17 year old girl, here is to you.



You have our hearts.  You have our love.  We have waited for you.  We have prayed for you.  We have loved you.

No comments:

Post a Comment