Friday, October 28, 2011

to have faith like a child: (His love doesn't have boundary)

to have faith like a child: (His love doesn't have boundary)

While renting a movie from redbox this evening, my four year old daughter, Greenlee, saw two women kissing each other and was immediately shocked - which led to one of our many light bulb conversations...

She asked me, "why are those girls doing that?  Are they bad people?"

My response, "No, honey they aren't bad at all.  God made each of us and He loves us all.  He also gave us the ability to make our own choices on things and feelings.  Some people love different than others and it doesn't make them bad.  Each person has the right to make their own choices."

She paused for a moment (I could tell she was thinking hard) and then said, "Well, that's good that God loves us all.  When I grow up I'm going to marry a boy, but maybe one of my friends will marry a girl, and I'll love them like Jesus loves us all."

...

And that's all that needed to be said at that moment.

You see, when I was little homosexuality was thought of as an "extreme" sin - we didn't really talk about it other than it was very "bad" "gross" and not something we should ever be around.  

In church, we were told to put up boundaries against that.  Kids in school who acted "gay" were called derogatory names, and you didn't want to be seen with them because then you would have been thought to be gay too (like it was a contagious disease or something).

Most "Christians" that I knew when I was younger explained homosexuality as perverted people.  And many MANY times I had heard the connection that "gay" people were all going to hell and were child molesters, or pedafiles and in no way could "they" be Christians...

The message was always connected back to hate and back to sin.  

----

As a young adult, (and late teen) I just didn't feel like those messages were biblical in any way.  In fact, the few people I knew that were open to share that they loved differently were many of my greatest friends since early childhood.  I found it very hard to believe that somehow God would choose to hate them or not love them because of their choice.

I also quickly realized that so much of what I had been told was from a place of judgment - not a place of grace.

How could the God that I love create us as His children and then choose to just stop loving us when we make a decision that may or may not be biblical?

It was over the course of these few years that i really started questioning my faith.  If being a follower of Christ meant judging those unlike me, I really didn't want to be any part of that.   Was it really our "duty" as Christians to point out others sin?  To create walls of separation?  

Someone during that time told me "hate the sin, not the sinner"

I get what they were trying to say, but seriously why not say that to everyone since we are all sinners in some way?

It wasn't too much later that I became a teen mom who had a child outside of wedlock.  Would God hate me too?

Well, of course not.  I'm still His child.  No different than the next person.

He created us all to be very different and gave us the free-will to choose what path we each take.  He also did NOT create us to be the judge of anyone.  He calls us to LOVE one another and to live for those who may or may not know Him - not to cause division between us.

--

Point being, what kind of "Christian" do you want to be?  

The legalistic kind?  

The judgmental kind?

The closed-off unapproachable kind?

OR the one who loves what He loves:  His children?

We were all made for a greater purpose, and by grace we can each make our own decisions and those decisions and their "judgment" comes from only Him.  

Some of my greatest friends believe different than me, love different than me, look different than me, and think different than me... And each of them are still children of the Most High.

Being a true Christian means accepting that we all are broken, we are all undeserving, but because of the love and grace that our Lord abundantly offers we get to be accepted as His kiddo.  And He does not make "junk"

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, my love, you have literally brought a tear to my eye. I'm sure you know thathat I am gay and I've been "out" since high school. It took me years to accept myself and others. I try my hardest to not pass judgement on anyone, and I especially do my best to teach my child that love is a wonderful thing. Compassion and understanding are very important. I absolutely commend you, I think you are a beautiful, successful woman with a fantastic family. You gave Greenlee the best possible answer. I have found that being a believer is about more than the pages, it's about heart, faith, a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. GOD is more than a word, more than a book. My faith runs through me like a river, I only pray that I could lead such a wonderful example like you. I am truly blessed I meet you when I did. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)

    Thanks for posting this. You rock, friend. Thanks for your sweet words!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete