Monday, April 23, 2012

Loving people not the cause...

Another post that I wrote a couple weeks back...


Loving people, not the cause...

We are living in a very "cause-centered" time. You have people totally passionate about helping fight AIDS, or diabetes, or children, or hunger... All of which are amazing and I'm so glad we as a community (and nation) have got to this point...

BUT... There's always a but :)

But about a year ago, I realized that most people only knew Rachel as being "the one who helped teens". I was only known for that cause. And although thats not the worst thing in the world to be known for, lol, it wasn't what my life needed to be known as...

My cause is Jesus. My cause is loving all people. My cause is sticking up to social injustices.

And when I say people knew me as "the TASC girl" I knew me as that too :).

When I left working at the Teen Action and Support Center, I felt I left my passion also, and it took me a while to realize that God had only placed me there for a season, and that season was over, but the cause of Jesus in my life was really just unfolding.

I've spent the last year of my life growing passions that I never knew existed... I have been so fortunate to help fight hunger this year with The Farm, to help advocate for kids in foster care through The Call, to spend a little time with neglected and abused horses, to mentor a young adult through Saving Grace, to walk alongside of someone in the prison system and see them face joys and trials through their own personal redemption, to passionately help single parents at Havenwood, and to help the homeless into housing at Cobblestone.

I think God knew I needed to see the bigger picture. It's really not about any one of these causes, friends, although all are a noble and worthy cause of investing in...

But I don't want my legacy to be that I was the girl that did really well in advocating for something. I want to be known as the one advocating for someone - Jesus.

Every day we have the ability to do small acts of kindness and help change the world for Him. We just have to be willing, :)

Let your cause be bigger than anything here.

No comments:

Post a Comment