Monday, April 23, 2012

A poem for M

I felt like writing poetry tonight... This one is for our girl.



Someday you'll see the dreams I've had for you and you will reach even farther than I could have dreamed.

One day you'll hear the sound of my words as they echo from your own lips to the child you love and hurt for.

And that day you'll realize just how hard those words were to hear and how they are even harder to say.

You'll catch yourself smiling and maybe even burst into tears when you realize a small tiny part of you has become me, and that tiny part has been passed down from generation to generation.

It won't matter that I never carried you in my stomach, or that you were only my little girl for a short time, because regardless of how long I was your mother - you and I will never be the same. We have changed each other. We have cried together, we have experienced joy together, and we have disliked one another, only because we loved each other enough to love without always having to like.

Someday you will look back and realize the seeds that were planted in your life and know we gave you roots and I'll know we also gave you wings.

One day you'll experience loss, and another you'll experience joy. We will be there for both days to listen, sit, and smile.

And that day you'll know and truly believe that we are really your family.

You'll catch yourself smiling or maybe even burst into tears when you realize that trust and unconditional love really can and do exist, and you have both in us.

It won't matter if you and I haven't spoke in a while or if you lose your way. It won't be too long or too far to call on me. Because you and I will never be the same, whether your adventures are prodigal or practical, the love remains the same.

Someday, one day, and that day you are my daughter all the same. And my child, I wouldn't change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment